A Feverish February

        February is such a weird month, it almost feels like an "in-between" space and its so short. Nonetheless, my February kicked off with a presentation on stress and the heart in Endocrine Pharmacology. I was truly excited for this presentation because my segment was on a topic I deeply care about, which is Cardiovascular Disease/Health in Black Women. It was motivating just researching and putting the presentation together because I learned even more, especially on the statistical side of how this disease affects Black women, and just solidified my interest in the heart and that I am on the right path. My other group members had equally interesting segments discussing acculturative stress, and sex differences in stress and the heart.

       The following days saw me rigorously prepping for the Neurology module exams, which I did well on. I was a little doubtful at first because I was busier than normal and time management was essential leading up to the exam, however I planned, and planned.......and planned, then put those goals into action to see improvement on this module exam. I realized it takes me a while to get into the swing of things, in terms of school, after a break, and I am always working on it now. Even after our Spring Break, the first week back was challenging, but I pushed through better than I did after December's break. I've learned to acknowledge these small wins.

              In improving my time management, I also realized I needed to restore balance, as I was falling into the habit of all work, no play, and spreading myself too thin like I did in undergrad. I tried getting outside the house more, trying new restaurants, and taking music breaks as a form of self care in addition to meditating like usual. It really helped me gain mental clarity and not overload and be so stressed about school. Moreover, I finally resumed volunteering at my beloved Crescent City Farmers Market. Waking up early on Sundays, being at the Market, and helping people gain access to fresh and local food refreshes me. When the sessions are over, I leave with the feeling of gratitude. My fellow classmate Mathani joined me this weekend and it was a great experience for her.




February Hours: 4.5 Hrs.

Semester Hours: 4.5 Hrs.

Comments

Popular Posts