Changing Coordinates: Big Apple to the Big Easy

    Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would move to a new city, not knowing a soul, completely on my own, all in a PANDEMIC! Just 6 months ago, I was attempting to study for my MCAT, gathering recommendation letters and transcripts to apply to Master's programs, and preparing to volunteer with Edible Schoolyard NYC. Everything took a sudden turn when Coronavirus became prevalent, causing worldwide panic. COVID-19 shook the world! 

    It forced everyone to stay inside and be extra vigilant and aware. In some weird way, this time broke down the mechanisms I used to ignore some of my flaws, and face why some of my daydreams stayed just that----daydreams. I loved being isolated, naturally as an introvert. I lost all routine, sleeping all day, staying up all night, ignoring finances, and future plans. It seemed like an endless broken record, as days merged where I'd try to study and kept telling myself it'll happen tomorrow. Somewhere along the line, I worked to put the rhythm back in my life. I completed the application, and was accepted to my dream program. This program has been a thought in my mind for 3 years. After a 3 day road trip from NYC in August, I arrived knowing that Tulane University Master's Program in Pharmacology at the School of Medicine is where I'm supposed to be.

    It's been a little over a month in the program and I've literally gained so much knowledge, in pharmacology and about myself. From starting off learning basic pharmacology including Drug Metabolism, the importance of Cytochrome P450, NSAIDs, Histamines etc. in the first module, I realized what I needed to not just do good, but do extremely well. The hard part is translating that into action. Even with uncertainty of what to expect, I stuck through it. The second module focused on Infectious Diseases and was a favorite thus far, as we learned about anti-fungals, anti-virals, antibiotics and all the mechanisms to go with them. It was tough and I didn't do as well as I expected, but I'm here, so changes are in progress.

    Speaking of change, I'm excited to enact change in meaningful ways to the people of New Orleans, as I plan to volunteer with Edible Schoolyard Nola, and Crescent City Farmers Market. This month was full of orientations and delays due to tropical storm weathers, which is new to me. I instead chose to write a letter to a senior in DreamCatchers at The Woodlands Healthcare Center. It was refreshing in that I'd be communicating to someone whom I didn't know, but can possibly create a friendship through outreach. It also served as a way to decompress from a rigorous study routine. 

    Everything has never felt more aligned in my life, and I constantly tell myself I'm where I am supposed to be. I just have to do one thing.....

See It Through.


Community Service Hours: 1 Hour




Comments

Popular Posts